The Smithsonian National Zoological Park stretches over 163 acres and is one of the top attractions in the DC Area. The Zoo filled with over 2,000 different animals and almost 400 species, so you can truly explore the wild side. You won't want to miss the giant pandas, Tian Tian and Mei Xiang, important members of the Zoo's community. With so many exhibits and animals to see we want to make sure you don't miss the top attractions including:
- The Great Ape House home to the Zoo's baby gorilla
- Elephant Trails - the new home to the Asian Elephants
- Bird's House Indoor Flight Room where you can watch a variety of birds fly freely
- Great Cats Exhibit featuring African lions and Sumatran tigers
- Small Mammal House
- Invertebrate Exhibit - be sure to see the cuttlefish, a visitor favorite
- Amazonia Exhibit where you can transport yourself to the Amazon River Basin
There are a variety of daily programs including animal feedings, keeper talks, and other special events, be sure to check out the events calendar before your visit.
The National Zoo is open 364 days a year and is FREE to the public. Below are the Zoo hours to help you plan your visit.
Winter (November - March) | Summer (April - October)
Grounds: 6 AM - 6 PM | 6 AM - 8 PM
Visitor Center, Shops, and Concessions: 9 AM - 5 PM | 9 AM - 5 PM
Exhibit Buildings: 10 AM - 4:30 PM | 10 AM - 6 PM
Last Admittance: N/A | 7 PM
When looking for hotels near the Washington, D.C. Zoo, Sheraton Silver Spring is the perfect choice. The zoo is located just 6 miles from the hotel, making for the perfect family trip.
Stay at the Sheraton Silver Spring on your next family trip to Washington, D.C. and receive:
- Weekend rates starting at $134
- Weekday rates starting at $224
- Welcome amenity for the kids to enjoy